Aus folk awards close soon
Folk Alliance Australia
Australian Folk Music Awards 2021
Nominations Close 31 July
Folk Alliance Australia yesterday announced the launch of the Australian Folk Music Awards (AFMAs), the new national Awards program for the folk music sector.
FAA President Keith Preston noted that “folk music covers a lot of musical ground ranging from World & Ethnic, Roots, Americana, Bush, Celtic, acoustic blues and many acoustic styles, both traditional and contemporary. The Folk music scene is comprised of many communities and brings this richness to the musical diversity that is folk music.
Folk music and traditional music are the ground spring of many contemporary music genres with many talented artists, organisations, communities and cultures represented. We have over fifty Australian folk festivals which are vibrant parts of city and especially regional arts and culture scenes giving them their creative identities and involvement with music and the arts.
We invite nominations from artists, performers, venues, festivals, projects to showcase and highlight the talent of the Australian folk music scene.
The AFMA awards will celebrate and recognise the musical and cultural talent, vibrancy, richness, diversity and community nature of the Australian Folk Music sector and will be presented at a live-streamed Live Music Awards Concert/Gala event at The Lion Arts Centre, Adelaide on Thursday 14 October as a lead in event to the Fleurieu Folk Festival.”
At the inaugural AFMAs eight (8) Awards will be presented in 2021:-
Folk Album of the Year – Traditional
Folk Album of the Year – Contemporary
Folk Artist of the year – Solo
Folk Act of the year – Duo/Group/Ensemble
Folk Community/Cultural Project of The Year
Youth Artist of the Year
Contribution to Folk
AFMA Nominations are On-line and open from 16 June until 31 July
For nominate or more information visit www.folkalliance.org.au/afmas
The aim of the Australian Folk Music Awards are to:-
• Create a National Folk Awards Scheme for the Australian Folk Music Sector/Community.
• Raise the profile of Australian folk music.
• Acknowledge, recognize and celebrate national achievements of the folk music sector.
• Benefit Australian folk music artists to gain recognition and to build their profile and careers.
• Involve and engage the wide diversity of Australian folk genres in the AFMA Awards.
• Raise the profile of Folk Alliance Australia as a national organisation for folk music.
Folk Alliance Australia is the peak national body representing folk cultural activity and the folk industry of Australia. It is a membership organisation that provides an information resource and networking, showcase and professional development opportunities for the Australian folk community.
Folk Alliance Australia is an incorporated not-for-profit association, with a volunteer board of management.
Its aim is to:
- provide a forum for folk activity practitioners and organisers that encourages networking, information sharing, fellowship, training and support
- lobby on behalf of folk activity practitioners and organisers to represent them in any forum that affects the operation and future of folk activity at a national level
- promote Australian folk activities to overseas and domestic markets
- provide resources to aid the development and improvement of folk activities in Australia
The FAA already recognises emerging talent through its Youth Folk Music Awards.
Aus folk awards close soon