World of Bluegrass 2013 – Raleigh North Carolina – Official Numbers Released
The World of Bluegrass Week 2013 was held in Raleigh North Carolina in September and included:
- the four-day IBMA Business Conference
- the International Bluegrass Music Awards Show
- Bluegrass Ramble evening showcases on seven stages five nights
- the two-day Wide Open Bluegrass Festival, and
- the free to the public weekend Wide Open Bluegrass Street Fest
I was fortunate to attend the Wide Open Bluegrass Festival and the Street Fest. I would have to say that the quality and quantity of bluegrass music on offer was beyond expectations and almost overwhelming. If you like bluegrass in all its forms, this is the epi-centre and I would recommend you consider this event, which moved from its traditional base of Nashville to Raleigh this year.
The International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) has recently released some data on the Bluegrass Week. Combined, these events brought approximately 84,000 visitors to the area, generating approximately 20,000 hotel room-nights.
According to IBMA records, the cumulative attendance for the week was over 140,000, including over 2,000 at the IBMA Awards Show and 4,500 plus cumulative attendees at the IBMA Business Conference.
The Conference included:
- 50 attendees at Leadership Bluegrass Master Class
- 94 attended the Leadership Bluegrass Alumni-hosted pre-event reception
- 101 booths at the World of Bluegrass Exhibit Hall
- 200 estimated attendance at 8 Member Constituency Meetings and
- 300 Youth connected through the Youth Council Room, Wednesday